BYLAWS OF THE MUTUAL UFO NETWORK, INC. (MUFON) A NONPROFIT CORPORATION
ARTICLE I: NAME, OBJECTIVES AND GOVERNANCE
Section 1: The name of this organization shall be MUTUAL UFO NETWORK, INC., and/or the acronym MUFON.
Section 2: Purpose and Mission:
Section 3: Incorporation:
- The purpose of MUFON is to resolve the mystery known as unidentified flying objects (UFOs) and all of its related ramifications in a scientific manner.
- The mission of MUFON is "The Analytical and Scientific Study of the UFO Phenomenon for the Benefit of Humanity.”
- The Mutual UFO Network has been incorporated in the State of Texas as a non-profit corporation under Charter Number 379001 on April 9, 1976 and is a corporation in good standing.
- The Texas Registered Agent is Thomas P. Deuley, 2827 Sir Philip Dr., San Antonio, TX 78209.
- MUFON operates as a foreign corporation in the State of Colorado.
- The Colorado Registered Agent is John F. Schuessler, 9862 West Unser Ave., Littleton, CO 80128-6986.
- The mailing address for MUFON is 2619 W 11th Street Road, Ste 21, Greeley, Colorado, 80634.
- Ownership: The names Mutual UFO Network, Inc., MUFON/Mutual UFO Network, Inc., MUFON, Mutual UFO Network UFO Journal and MUFON organization, are the sole property of the MUTUAL UFO NETWORK, INC. Any and all trademarks, patents, intellectual property rights or data gathered or disseminated under the MUFON name is the sole property of the MUFON organization.
- MUFON shall be governed by its Articles of Incorporation and these Bylaws.
The annual corporate meeting will be held in June or July of each year in conjunction with the annual MUFON International UFO Symposium. Special meetings may be called at any time by the International Director and two other members of the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE II: MEMBERSHIP
- Anyone is eligible for membership in MUFON, with membership levels established by MUFON policy as determined by the Board of Directors.
- The Board of Directors shall determine the amount of annual dues payable, and may adjust the annual dues as necessary.
- Membership privileges may be terminated for failure to remit annual dues and/or for unlawful, unethical or abusive behavior.
ARTICLE III: FINANCIAL
Section 1: Fiscal year:
The fiscal year of MUFON shall be July 1 through June 30.
Section 2: Bank account: "
Section 3: Annual Financial Report
- A banking account, or accounts, convenient to the principal office, will be maintained for organizational funds.
- Savings or investment accounts may be opened by authorization of the Board of Directors.
- The International Director has the authority to pay normal expenses incurred for the operation of MUFON.
- Expenditures of more than $5,000 for any single item requires the prior approval of the board of directors.
- Signature authority - Authorized signer(s) on MUFON account(s) will be approved by the Board of Directors.
At the conclusion of each fiscal year, the International Director, Treasurer and Office Secretary will prepare an Annual Financial Report for submittal to the Board of Directors and to government agencies as required.
Section 4: Audit
The Corporation's books of account shall be audited from time-to-time by auditors named by the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE IV: CORPORATION OFFICERS
The Corporate Officers of MUFON shall be: (1) International Director (President), (2) Corporate Secretary, and (3) Corporate Treasurer. The corporate officers, named by the Board of Directors, may succeed themselves for an unspecified number of terms.
ARTICLE V: POWERS AND DUTIES OF CORPORATE OFFICERS
Section 1: International Director
Section 2: Corporate Secretary:
- The International Director shall be the Chief Executive Officer of MUFON.
- The International Director is responsible for the administration and operation of MUFON.
- The International Director is duly authorized to conduct MUFON business and to sign checks or drafts upon MUFON funds. <
- The International Director may hire office staff as required to conduct MUFON business.
Section 3: Corporate Treasurer:
- The Corporate Secretary shall keep the true complete records of the proceedings at all corporate annual meetings.
- The Corporate Secretary may delegate duties to the Office Business Manager.
- The Corporate Treasurer shall keep the true complete records of all financial transactions and may delegate duties to the Office Business Manager in that regard.
- The Corporate Treasurer is authorized to sign or countersign MUFON checks.
- The Corporate Treasurer will approve and sign the Annual Financial Report before it is submitted to the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE VI: BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Section 1: Composition
The Board of Directors shall consist of the Corporate Officers as set forth above, plus six other members.
Section 2: Election
New directors will be elected to a board position by a majority vote of the board of directors.
Section 3: Term
Board members will serve for a term of three years. Board members may serve more than one term if re-elected.
Section 4: Meetings
A duly held meeting will consist of a quorum of at least five board members.
Section 5: Duties of
Directors will set policy and direction of the organization, set membership fees, revise the bylaws and conduct other business as necessary for the organization.
Section 6: Removal
In addition to the criteria set forth under Article II, a board member may be removed for failure to participate in three consecutive board meetings.
Section 7: Vacancies
Vacancies will be filled by a vote of the Board of Directors from candidates nominated by the Board of Directors.
ARTICLE VII: TRUSTEES
The Trustees of the Mutual UFO Network, Inc., a Texas Nonprofit Corporation, shall be the International Director, Corporate Secretary, and Corporate Treasurer. In the event of the dissolution of MUFON, the trustees shall pay all outstanding debts and distribute the remaining assets as prescribed in Article X, Section 3 of these bylaws.
ARTICLE VIII: COMPENSATION OF OFFICERS, DIRECTORS AND TRUSTEES
As a nonprofit corporation, the Board of Directors has the authority to hire and compensate specific officers and other personnel for duties performed.
ARTICLE IX: AMENDMENTS
Amendments to these Bylaws may be proposed and set by the Board of Directors
ARTICLE X: OTHER
Section 1: Liability of members
No member of this corporation shall be personally liable for any of its debts, liabilities, or obligations, nor shall any member be subject to any assessment.
Section 2: Property/assets
No member shall have any right, title, or interest in any of the property or assets including any earnings or investment income of this corporation.
Section 3: Dissolution
In the event of dissolution of the Mutual UFO Network, Inc., any remainder of its net assets after discharge of its just debts and other legal and moral obligations shall be paid to such other nonprofit professional, scientific, educational or charitable institutions having similar purposes and objectives as MUFON as directed by the Trustees of the Corporation.
Revised October 2003